Lecturing with Ease: A Short Scientific Writing Course (part 1)12/03/2018 13:30
This short course consists of three half days spread over three weeks. During the time we have together we will develop and try out different strategies to help us write and we will look in detail at some of the specific writing tasks that we face in science. In particular, we will spend time on developing a strategy for writing a scientific paper.
Because the course is over three weeks, each participant will be invited after each session to prepare some short pieces of writing that will be individually critiqued by the course presenter Allan Gaw. The course will be limited to 15 participants to ensure that there is maximum interaction and personalized tuition. After this course each participant will:
• Understand the importance of being able to write well in science
• Appreciate the common difficulties faced by writers and how to overcome them
• Understand what is meant by freewriting
• Develop a personal strategy for writing
• Know how to edit and revise your texts
• Know how to avoid the commonest grammatical errors in English
• Understand the need to develop a professional, scientific style.
About the presenter: Allan Gaw, MD, PhD, FRCPath, FFPM, PGCert Med Ed is a Scottish writer and educator. He has been a clinical academic for more than 25 years. Most recently he was Professor & Director of the Clinical Research Facility at Queen’s University Belfast, and he previously worked at the University of Glasgow and UT Southwestern in Dallas, Texas. He is passionate about the need to develop those key writing and presentation skills that are essential in professional life. He has written two theses, 25 books, 150 papers and more reports, articles, essays, blogs and abstracts than he can count. His books on scientific writing— WriteEasy, WordEasy and Abstract Expressions—are all available as e-books, and his blog The Business of Discovery may be viewed at researchet.wordpress.com
There are no fees for NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde/NHS West Node employees
- Half-day (13:30-16:30)
- £45 University. £99 Commercial Organisation.
Invoice: We can raise an invoice for payment, but only in receipt of a purchase order number from your finance department. Purchase orders should be marked for the attention of:-
- NHS GREATER GLASGOW AND CLYDE
- CALEDONIA HOUSE
- CARDONALD BUSINESS PARK
- G51 4ED
- ENDOWMENT FUND CG0337 EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Please provide details of the training course, date and name of attendee on the purchase order and email copy to GG-UHBGlasgowCRFeducation@nhs.net.