Student Information & Work Experience
NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde (NHS GGC) are at the forefront of healthcare innovation, and the opening of the new Queen Elizabeth University Hospital (QEUH) has established the largest hospital campus in Europe. The integration and collaboration of the Health Service and Universities in NHS GGC provides a robust infrastructure supporting an active clinical research community and enthusiastic research staff.
The network of Clinical Research Facilities in NHS GGC supports a busy portfolio of clinical research studies across all specialties, ranging from complex early phase, novel therapy experimental medicine to rehabilitation techniques to large population-based public health initiatives.
Clinical research placements are available at GCRF for:
Student nurses and Midwives
- Full placements allocated by university
- Spoke placements available to all years on request
- Medical students
- Medical Student places offered as SSC modules
- School work experience
- Post graduate level
During a placement at GCRF you will:
- Gain an insight into the cutting-edge research in GGC&C
- Experience the importance of patient choice in research and observe the informed consent process
- Participate or observe in clinical procedures for patients participating in clinical trials
Research Training Posts
You will be fully trained and supported to recruit, consent and treat research participants and to collect and document quality data. GCRF offer a comprehensive training programme to support new staff in a supportive learning environment.
- 3 x 4 month research rotations through a variety of disease specialties.
- Shadow experienced research staff
- Learn new skills such as sample processing
- Comprehensive induction and competency based training
- Monthly research teaching sessions
School Leavers/ Work Experience
Clinical research is a patient-centred clinical specialty, aiming to find new ways to improve healthcare. In clinical research, you will build on your existing clinical skills and become competent at wide range of research specific procedures.
Glasgow Clinical Research Facility supports a busy portfolio of clinical research studies, ranging from complex early phase experimental medicine to large population-based public health initiatives.