The Chief Scientist Office (CSO) of Scottish Government, NHS Research Scotland (NRS) and Health Board R&D Offices are working closely, and in collaboration with equivalents across the UK nations, to enable and deliver research into COVID-19.
Urgent public health research into COVID-19 continues. The CSO has been working with colleagues across the NHS to support the restarting of research paused due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
To support the restart of research paused due to COVID-19 a Restart Framework is in place. This ensures COVID-19 and non-COVID-19 research is protected in the event of increased pressure on wider clinical services. Scotland and the other devolved administrations have been fully involved in its development and are supportive of the guiding principles. The Chief Scientist Office will monitor restart across Scotland.
A bold and ambitious vision for the future of clinical research delivery across the UK has been published. Scotland has worked alongside the UK nations to develop the vision, with input from NHS, regulators, medical research charities and life sciences industry.
Media enquiries specific to research can be directed to Fiona Fleming, Communications Manager:
General Coronavirus (COVID-19) enquiries should be directed to Scottish Government on 0131 244 0222.
NHS 24 is the primary source of public health information in Scotland - www.nhsinform.scot/coronavirus.
Re-starting non-COVID-related clinical research
Current COVID-19 research
COVID-19 vaccine studies
Guidance for researchers, sponsors and sites
COVID-19 Research Talks
Other Key Areas
- Saving and improving lives: the future of UK clinical research delivery
- Fast-track research
- Information for the public on COVID-19 research
- CSO approach to grant funded projects affected by COVID-19
- Prioritising funding and support for COVID-19 research across the UK
- Letter of thanks to clinical research staff from UK Vaccine Taskforce
- Scottish Government COVID-19 Advisory Group
- COVID-19: safe handling and processing for samples in laboratories
- Chief Scientist Office (CSO)
- Health Research Authority (HRA)
- National Institute for Health Research (NIHR)
- Research projects for educational purposes
- Research ethics resilience
- Recruiting patients for clinical trials