- Critical care
- Ear, Nose and Throat
- Infectious Diseases
- Mental Health
- Metabolic and Endocrine
- Musculoskeletal Health
- Neuroprogressive and Dementia
- Oral and Dental
- Primary Care
- Regenerative Medicine
- Reproductive Health and Childbirth
- Trauma and Emergencies
Our role is to develop and support the delivery of high-quality clinical research in musculoskeletal disease and manage participant recruitment to time and target, both for studies which are led from Scotland, and studies led from other nations which Scottish sites are participating in. We provide support in the following areas:
- Managing the study portfolio record
- Monitoring the attainment of recruitment targets
- Providing advice on study design and feasibility
- Troubleshooting issues with poor recruitment
- Identifying potential sites for studies
- Facilitating access to resource to support research, for example through Clinical Research Facility (CRF) Research Nurses.
- Facilitating research links and networking.
NRS Musculoskeletal Meeting 2020
The NRS Musculoskeletal Annual Meeting brings together individuals interested and involved in musculoskeletal research, raising awareness of the research that is currently being undertaken.
This event is open to all health professionals involved in different aspects of MSK research projects.
This year, the event will take place at the Apex Hotel, 31-35 Grassmarket, Edinburgh, EH1 2HS, Wednesday 26 February 2020.
Our remit is to support research that deals with interventions that can be applied to the prevention and treatment of patients with musculoskeletal diseases. A wide range of research studies are included such as those involving medicines, lifestyle interventions, multifaceted (complex) interventions, medical devices and comparison of surgical approaches for the prevention and treatment of bone and joint diseases both in adults and children.
These studies focus on a range of conditions including:
- Osteoarthritis and joint replacement surgery
- Osteoporosis and fracture prevention
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Psoriatic arthritis and spondyloarthropathies
- Paget’s disease of bone
- Lupus, vasculitis and connective tissue disease
- Diseases of skeletal muscle
- Rare and inherited diseases that affect the musculoskeletal system.
Patient, carer and public information
NHS Research Scotland is committed to actively involving patients, those who care for them and the public in all aspects of the research process, including shaping future research activity. Read more
Vacancy: NRS MSK Champion Support Manager
A vacancy is now open for NRS Champion Support Manager for NRS Musculoskeletal, providing support to Professor Stuart Ralston, the NRS Clinical Lead for NRS Musculoskeletal hosted within NHS Lothian. The post will also ensure that there is local oversight of all SG-supported research taking place within this area, coordinating and supporting local activity to drive recruitment to clinical studies. Apply for the role
Champion Lead: Professor Stuart Ralston
Research Champion Support Manager: Carol Williams