Secondment opportunity: Networks and Specialty Groups Manager (maternity cover)
8th September 2017
NHS Research Scotland are looking to recruit a Networks and Specialty Groups Manager as maternity cover on a secondment basis. The position will support and coordinate the activities of the NRS Network in delivering clinical research within NHSScotland.
To apply, or for further information, please send your CV and covering letter to:
Charles Weller: firstname.lastname@example.org
0141 951 5508
Applications for this position will close on Friday 22 September 2017.
Job Title: NHS Research Scotland Networks and Specialty Groups Manager (Maternity Cover)
Route: Secondment opportunity to Scottish Health Innovations Limited
Pay scale: Equivalent to NHS Band 7
Location: The Central Management Team is based at the Golden Jubilee National Hospital, and the role requires regular travel there for training and to meet with other team members. There is, however, the scope for considerable flexibility, and approaches are welcomed from anywhere in Scotland.
Hours: Part time, up to 3 days per week
Length: 1 year (maternity cover)
NHS Research Scotland (NRS) is a partnership involving Scottish NHS Boards and the Chief Scientist Office (CSO) of the Scottish Government. The NRS Central Management Team is hosted by Scottish Health Innovations Limited (SHIL) an independent company owned by NHS Scotland and the Scottish Ministers. The overarching aim of NRS is to ensure that NHSScotland provides the best environment to support clinical research. CSO provides NRS funding to the NHS to support effective delivery of clinical research and aims to increase the number of studies and the level of patient recruitment to research projects undertaken across Scotland.
This post provides coordinating support to the NRS Topic and Specialty Group clinical leads and supporting managers (the “NRS Network”), and plays a key role in providing central oversight and development of clinical research activity across Scotland.
CSO invests significant funds annually in supporting NRS infrastructure for clinical studies, and the post holder assists in developing effective dialogue between Networks, SGs and Health Boards to enable deployment of resources to support NRS infrastructure.
You will have day-to-day responsibility for gathering performance management information from the NRS network, and in ensuring that the information is fair, objective and accurate.
Strong interpersonal skills are required. You will work closely with other members of NRS and CSO to ensure the policies and practices of NRS are consistent with the CSO strategic direction.
Any secondment will require the agreement of the substantive employer and line manager. This post reports to the NRS Central Management Team General Manager.
- Arrange and minute various meetings of the Topic and Portfolio Managers and Clinical leads, several times per year
- Oversee and coordinate recruitment data using CPMS, ODP and SReDA databases
- Provide formal quarterly reports of NRS activity submitted to CSO
- Handle NRS eligibility, Specialty classification and recruitment queries from NRS
- Main contact point for NIHR on devolved nation queries/issues
- Promote NRS both within the NHS and to external parties
- Provide Green Reports to Health Boards
- Provide monthly non-commercial reports to wider NRS community
- Provide training and advice on CPMS/Green reporting
Topic and SG Meeting Secretariat
- Administration and organisation of NRS Topic and Portfolio Manager meetings, including agendas and locations, in discussion with Network and Portfolio managers
- Support CSO with Clinical Lead meetings
- Prepare minutes of meeting and action points
- Prepare and circulate agendas, presentations and minutes.
Oversee recruitment data
- Work with Topic Managers, Champion Managers and Portfolio Managers to ensure accurate and timely reporting of recruitment information onto identified information systems, including, CPMS and SREDA
- Track activity and oversee production of reports to meetings and as required, including routine reports on upload completion and recruitment to target (“Green Report” and “Non-commercial Reports)
- Work with NRS Industry Liaison Manager to ensure commercial recruitment information is available to the Network
- Support Portfolio, Champion and Topic Managers in resolving recruitment issues at NHS Health Board and NIHR CRN level
- Update and produce national SOPs where necessary to improve efficiency and enhance understanding of processes
- Perform annual review to identify “low intensity/high recruitment” studies across NRS for CSO allocation.
- Work with CMT colleagues to collate annual performance and activity information as required to CSO.
- Assist with activities to promote NHS Research Scotland to the NHS, Industry, patients and public as required
- Deliver presentations, organise meetings or provide reports and information as needed to support NRS marketing and development activities
Competencies and Experience required
Leading Others/Communication and Engagement
- You will need to build trust with research personnel, have the ability to influence others on a range of issues, and be able to engage and negotiate successfully with different stakeholders.
Analysis and Use of Evidence
- The job requires an ability to understand and digest complex information; to analyse and identify key issues and their implications for the delivery of the aims of NRS.
- Graduate qualification in life sciences or healthcare subjects, or equivalent experience
- Experience of clinical research delivery or research management within the NHS.