A number of funding schemes operate in Scotland, designed to support capacity building and stimulate the development of high quality research.
The Chief Scientist Office has recently reviewed its grant schemes and will now be providing a number of different funding steams to directly support research in Scotland.
- Researcher Initiated Grant Schemes – limit £300k
- Scottish Government Policy Priorities scheme
- Catalytic Grants Scheme – limit £35k
As a result of significant CSO investment, researchers in Scotland can access a range of partner funding schemes, including most of the research programmes managed by the NIHR Evaluation. Trials, Studies and Coordinating Centre (NETSCC). Further information is available at:
The funding streams include:
- Efficacy and Mechanism Evaluation (EME) Programme
- Health Technology Assessment (HTA) Programme
- Health Services and Delivery Research (HS&DR) Programme
- Public Health Research (PHR) Programme
- NIHR Themed calls
Funding opportunities also regularly become available via
- Medical Research Council
- Wellcome Trust
- British Medical Association
- Medical Research Charities
- The association of Medical Research Charities lists many potential funders:
Follow @NHSResearchScot for the latest funding announcements.